View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 12:26 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
GdB, you are a very thoughtful person and I appreciate where you are coming from, but I am only asking you to delay judgment on whether there is anything new to what I am offering. You bring up Dennet. I agree that as far as we have come in our development, we have to use threats of the worst punishment possible to deter people from hurting others. I GET IT! But there is a better way. You can defend your belief system until the cows come home, and that's okay. I am only asking you to take a break and hear what Lessans has (had) to say about determinism and the extension of this finding.
We can only go on when we are, as you say, on the same page. As long as you do not explicitly say that you discovered that you are in fact a compatibilist, we are not on the same page.

If you do, we can go on:
  • Investigate what the consequence for (moral) responsibility is, given a realistic concept of free will, i.e. volition (CFW!) as as basis instead of libertarian free will.
  • Try to find other ways how to cope with misbehaviour.
  • Try to find ways how to avoid that people do misbehave.
  • And how to implement these better ways.

If you want to go on with me, we must be sure that we are on the same page step by step. It makes no sense to yell your version of the truth from the roofs. That is not philosophising, that is proselytising.

So, are we on the same page until here?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (01-08-2017), The Lone Ranger (01-08-2017), The Man (01-08-2017), thedoc (01-08-2017)

Page generated in 0.17110 seconds with 11 queries