Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

Default Re: Microsoft to skip Windows 9 and go straight to 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShottleBop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
Subscription service for Office? What's better, buy or rent?
If you're asking for a large corporate, there are better qualified negotiators than :ff: * If you're asking for yourself, buy or rent are not the only options, and more importantly Windows isn't the only option.

If you don't work for a company who provides Windows for you ... do you really need it?

* JoeP imagines FF style licencing negotiations with Microsoft. Arguments must be in Latin. With smilies. Terms must include "lol no u" and a ragequit option.
If your work requires you to edit fairly large documents with embedded macros and the like, I don't think there's any substitute for Windows, if you want to avoid corrupting your work.* I just dropped $370 on a refurbished Dell 3189 Latitude, from Woot. It's not got a lot of horsepower (N4200 processor), but it's got 8 GB RAM, a decent touchscreen, a GREAT keyboard (spill-proofed), a Gorilla Glass screen and other ruggedization features, and 10 hours of battery life. (It's made for use by schools.) Screen rotates 360 degrees, so you can use it like a tablet.

One drawback: the N4200 processor doesn't support Carbonite, for backing up files. For $70, however, I get a year of Office 365 (so I can handle anything work-related)--which includes a terabyte of storage on Microsoft's OneDrive. Also, it keeps your versions of the software current, and includes Outlook. My last-purchased standalone version of Office was five years old, and didn't include Outlook

And, frankly, while I've loved my MacBook Air, running Windows under Paralllels has sucked donkey balls for the past year, I was lucky to get two hours on a full charge, and I find it much easier to navigate the data folders on a Windows machine than I do on a Mac.

Finally, X1 Search. I've had it for 6 years, now, and it's indispensable for finding exactly the document I want, with the provisions I'm looking for.

* My Plays-With-Linux machine is currently in India, with my daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter, but I hope to get it back when they come here in March, for my youngest son's wedding. I want to try out Antergos, a new Arch-based distro that is supposed to be pretty noob-friendly. Up until now, I've stuck with Ubuntu and its derivatives--currently Bodhi, which actually made my POS HP touchscreen usable.

Downloaded Antergos yesterday, and plan to try it out from a flash drive, for a while. I know I could make this machine a dual-boot, but its hard drive is only 125 GB, and I like keeping a fair amount of free space. My POS HP has 500 GB.
Wow! I just paid $499 for a HP 17.3 inch laptop with 8 GB and 1TB HD and a DVD drive. It feels cheap, plasticy and toylike, it's really basic, but seems to work ok so far. No really useful software, but I think Macafee is free for a while.
ShottleBop (12-31-2017)

Page generated in 0.88126 seconds with 11 queries