Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Perhaps we are talking about *registered* guns only?

Or perhaps we are talking about a 'gun control' agenda, regardless of the data.
Oh if that was the case I could simply point to the massive instability, wide-spread corruption, huge amount of people living below the breadline, inefficient policing... guns are not the only factor in a large homicide number.

It is just that I happen to know that there are massive concentrations of guns in Brazil, so I am honestly surprised to see it called a low-gun ownership country. Close to 10% of the population live in Favelas, and they are awash with guns - serious stuff in some cases. When the police want to clear an area, they have to send in armored cars because the gangs have access to pretty heavy military hardware.

Large urban areas are still no-go areas for the police, because heavily armed gangs dominate these slums.

I don't see it as an example of a place where gun-regulation is keeping guns away from the general public. I rather see it as a place that has LOTS of guns. And worse: they are not just of the kind designed to kill people, a lot of them are of the kind designed to kill lots of soldiers efficiently.

Maybe it is my perception that is at fault, and maybe the rest of Brazil just does not have a lot of guns in it, and there are only large concentrations of weaponry in the Favelas.

We can say one thing: in there, there are lots of murders, the majority perpetrated with guns. A perfect mix of available firepower and massive poverty makes them one of the most dangerous areas in the world.

So are you saying that Favelas and a lot of illegally owned firearms are the justification to remove guns from people who obey the law?
I cannot fathom how you managed to extract that conclusion from that post.
beyelzu (12-25-2012), Dragar (12-21-2012), Kael (12-21-2012), livius drusus (12-21-2012), Nullifidian (12-23-2012), Pan Narrans (12-21-2012), Stormlight (12-21-2012), The Man (12-21-2012), Watser? (12-21-2012)

Page generated in 0.27410 seconds with 11 queries