View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Why the Mainstream Media Really Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
I remember reading a fascinating report from FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting) a few years ago. In it, they showed that the Press Releases given out by the Bush II White House were being run as-is by numerous news organizations.

That is, a great many of the "articles" being printed in the newspapers regarding Administration policies and other goings-on in the White House were literally just re-typed White House Press Releases. If I recall correctly, AP was one of the biggest offenders.

I doubt that too much has changed since then.
Some time back, when the Denver area had two major newspapers, one of them* reprinted a press release I wrote on the front page of the business section, with a little bit of sloppy and IIRC inaccurate filler at the end. Someone even put their byline on it.

Thing is, just about every time I've read or seen a story in the mainstream general-interest media about a topic I knew something about, or an incident I had direct knowledge of, there was something wrong. Sometimes something insignificant, but a lot of the time something really important. So I have great empathy for people who are nerds of things I am not a nerd of when they complain about something in the media.

Also, I don't believe most of what I read or see in the media beyond simple accounting of events, and often not even that.

* If I could confidently remember which one it was, I'd totally call it out, but I am not positive enough about that.
Thanks, from:
Adam (01-17-2012), ceptimus (01-16-2012), chunksmediocrites (01-16-2012), Crumb (01-17-2012), Demimonde (01-16-2012), Kael (01-16-2012), LadyShea (01-16-2012), livius drusus (01-16-2012), Nullifidian (01-17-2012), SR71 (01-17-2012), The Lone Ranger (01-16-2012), The Man (01-17-2012)

Page generated in 0.17328 seconds with 11 queries