Thread: Law skewl
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 01:42 AM
The cat that will listen

Default Re: Law skewl

The only thing I learned in my tax class (Non-profit Taxation and Regulation) was that if someone came to me with a tax question, I should refer them to a CPA. If you are not a CPA, or a JD who is also a CPA, then that is what you should probably do as well. There seemed to be plenty of those at UGA. The reason is that in federal income tax or corporations/business associations or trusts & estates, you aren't really learning about how to do taxes or REALLY set up the capital structure of a corporation or write a valid will in your state--you are learning the theoretical structures behind these things.

Are you a theory person? Or are you a practical person?

That seems to determine how well you enjoy the brain part of law school. I am a practical person. I came to law school, and I wanted to learn how to solve people's problems. How do you stop the landlord from wrongfully evicting your client? How do you keep people safe from those who would like to hurt them? Etc.

Law school is not like this, for the most part. Law classes are best enjoyed by people who say things like "figuring out an issue in the law is like putting a puzzle together." Or, as my theory-crazy hubby does--let's just explore all these possibilities--what if X, what if Y, what if blah, blah, blah, BLAH! He's not even a lawyer--he just like thinking about the law and the possibilities. Let's argue all the sides. (No! What is the argument that is going to win the day? That is all that matters to me--none of this what might have been nonsense.)

If you are a practical person, I think it's very important to look at what the clinical programs are at the schools that you are interested in. Actually, I think this is important no matter what, because it gives you actual lawyering skills--you'll get to interview clients, focus on answering specific real-life issues in a useful way, feel the pace of the office, etc. My clinics and other internships were all either transactional or in an admin capacity, but I had friends who worked in prosecutorial and public defender clinics.

Despite my anti-theory nature, I really enjoyed much of law school. Some of the people who I expect to be my life-long friends I've met in classes. Most of my classmates were/are interesting, funny, caring, creative, kind people, and I'm glad to see them going places.

The hardest thing about law school for me, though, was learning that I am not able to do it all. First, I was not at the top of my class, instead I was THE average student at UGA. That's fine with me. But, being an average student didn't mean that I could take a clinic, a heavy load of classes, work part time, volunteer, be involved in a journal/several student groups, have a healthy marriage, take care of myself, AND not go crazy. (Meet Spring Semester 2006.) It can be tough, and I'm not some freak who tortures herself by cramming all of that into everyday. Ok, maybe I am freakish, but I don't think it was that unusual for probably half of my classmates--there was a good handful having babies during law school! Negotiating my limits was one of the most valuable lessons of law school.
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (07-26-2007), LadyShea (08-10-2009)

Page generated in 0.17499 seconds with 11 queries