Thread: Cycling
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2007, 08:40 PM
puzzler

Default Re: Cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
Incidentally, this is the mountain bike I have now.
That looks fine to me. I'd lose the springy seat pin, and the side stand, and fit some smoother tyres to it. You can get some pretty good road tyres that fit the wider mountain bike rims. Of course, if you're taking it off road, then stick with the knobblies.

I would advise you to hold off on purchasing a new bike till you've built up the miles a bit, and have a really firm idea of what you want. Mountain bikes (with road tyres) are fine for road work. Until you've built up the miles a bit, the upright position and low gear ranges make for a more comfortable ride. Once you find you're riding on the big chain ring all the time, even up gentle hills, you'll be fit enough to make good use of a road bike, and by then you'll probably have had the chance to inspect and even ride some of your friends' bikes, so you'll have a better idea of the features you like.

You could buy a drinks bottle and holder for it. You can transfer those to your new bike, when you get it.

Get a cheap computer for it (shows speed, distance, etc) Useful for monitoring your fitness gains. Don't spend big money though - $40 or less (even much less) should buy a perfectly reasonable computer for your bike. Even the basic models show speed, distance, average speed, elapsed time and maximum speed - that's all you really need. The other displays of calories, etc. are just gimmicks, (IMO) A clock is more useful!

Last edited by ceptimus; 03-25-2007 at 09:01 PM.

Page generated in 0.32365 seconds with 11 queries