View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Default Re: A philosophy professor justifies tough grade policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
I don't value your opinion enough to put the effort in ...
And by posting in the thread as you did, you expressed that contempt very clearly, instead of keeping it to yourself. I think that was an arrogant and dumb move.
Hm?

Arrogant? You might argue that. *I* don't think that not valuing your opinion is a sign of arrogance, but obviously you would disagree with that.

I also don't find anything about not valuing your opinion to be dumb. In fact, it's the smart thing to do. But really, I don't see where intelligence comes into play with regards to how highly I hold you in esteem. If you think that everyone ought to value your opinion (such that not doing so marks one as "arrogant and dumb"), does that not make you arrogant as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post

And yet, when I tried to get you to respond to the content of my posts, rather than the fact that I hadn't watched the video...

Yes, that's the way you're trying to avoid the issue.

When you acknowledge that you have made a mistake, and that, as usual, you've been attacking me as a way of defending your mistake instead of owning up to it, then I'll stop repeating the criticism that you ascribed to Professor Kagan a view that he hasn't expressed and you seem to think it's okay for you to criticise someone's ideas without listening to them.

I think that's fair.
I said that we could discuss the supposed topic of the thread, if you wanted. You said that we could discuss both.

I said that I didn't believe that you could discuss both.

This post proves that I was correct. If you wanted to discuss it, you would. Others in the thread have, including me. You have not - you're far more interested in me, and whether I'm slighting you and so forth.

Like I said, this does raise the question of how "worthy of sharing" the video was, if trivial subjects such as whether I watched the video are far more important than the information in the video.
Quote:
:wtfsign: A falsehood that one assumes to be true is not rendered true by an acknowledgment it might be false.
If I assume correctly (that Prof. Kagan was talking about grade inflation in this way), then this is what I would respond.

That's not the same as "Prof. Kagan said such and such." It just simply isn't, no matter how much you want it to be.
Thanks, from:
The Man (11-23-2009)

Page generated in 0.30594 seconds with 11 queries