View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 01:58 AM
Dissonance is its own reward

Default Re: Two Minutes Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:
“She didn’t blame it on anybody,” said Rebecca Knowles, 14. “She realized it was her fault for sending them in the first place.
She behaved foolishly, but the bullying and harassment that ensued was in no way justified by one foolish mistake on her part.

Apparently, she had some friends who tried to protect her. When I was in high school, if a student died, there was usually an assembly held shortly thereafter. The point of the assembly was for people to say nice things about the deceased, and to achieve some degree of closure.

I hope the school holds such an assembly. And I hope at least one of her friends speaks. And I hope that (s)he makes all involved realize just how petty and cruel they have been. As adults, we tend to romanticize childhood, but we forget at our peril -- few creatures are capable of such indifference and outright cruelty as are adolescent humans.

And the students who harassed her going to be punished? If not, why not? Are the boys who all but forced her to provide another photo going to be punished? They sure as heck should be.
I agree with you, and I do think it's absolutely horrible what happened to this girl, but fucking christ...

How many times do I have to say it: If you don't want everyone in the fucking world seeing it (it meaning pretty much anything), DO NOT SEND IT ELECTRONICALLY! (Seriously. The first rule of military network security: "Nothing is secure!")

Not that I'm defending/excusing the assholes that made her life a living hell, but an ounce of common sense could have prevented a ton of shit here. Why aren't we teaching that?

Also, the writer of that blog seems to almost condone "sexting" and not even want to face the issue that, while this girl is certainly the victim here, the wolves still couldn't have come in if she hadn't opened the door.

Edit: She's even got a message up that any mention of such will be answered with deletions and bans - in a message criticizing people for not being able to discuss the issue intelligently. What a crock of shit.

Last edited by Megatron; 12-07-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Thanks, from:
The Man (12-07-2009)

Page generated in 0.16358 seconds with 11 queries