Thread: Good King Trump
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 08:29 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Default Re: Good King Trump

Reading Comey's revealing (and damning) explanations for why he handled the Clinton case the way he did reminded me of this scene from Game of Thrones (a very good scene in the show, I think).

(This video and my post contain spoilers)

In this scene, Comey is most analogous to Orys I, the just, who nonetheless allows his evil brother to seize power.

But I can also see making an analogy between Comey and Ned Stark. It is perhaps an even better analogy. Ned Stark was easily manipulated by his sense of honor, to his downfall. But a crucial difference is that Comey was much more concerned with being perceived as honorable than Ned Stark*. Thus rogue elements in the FBI, Giuiliani, Jason Chaffetz, Trump and his ref-working about the election being rigged, etc. were able to manipulate Comey into doing things he might not have otherwise, because it was necessary to maintain his reputation of honor. They put him into a situation where his honor might be questioned if he did the right thing, and he responded exactly as they wanted him to.

*Ned allowed people to believe Jon Snow was his bastard, even though it sullied his reputation for honor. He also gave Cersei a chance to flee, but privately, an act which would likely not be publicly known and thus not enhance his reputation for honor. Comey would not have done either of those things, from what I can tell.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (04-17-2018), Crumb (04-17-2018), JoeP (04-16-2018), Limoncello (04-17-2018), mickthinks (04-16-2018), The Lone Ranger (04-16-2018), The Man (04-16-2018)

Page generated in 0.37984 seconds with 11 queries