View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 08:56 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Default Re: What's the frequency, Colorado?

The National Popular Vote law is legislation under which all of a state's electoral votes go to the presidential candidate who receives the most popular votes in the 50 states and District of Columbia. The law is written so that it doesn't take effect anywhere unless and until it becomes law in states whose electoral votes total an electoral college majority.

So far, the law's gotten enacted in 11 states and DC having a total of 172 electoral votes. That's 98 short of the current electoral college majority of 270.

But we're about to get 9 electoral votes closer thanks to lolorado. Senate Bill 19-42, the NPV law, passed the state senate today by a vote of 19-16. It's expected to pass the state house of representatives as well, and the governor has already said he'll sign it.

Yeah, I know. The odds of getting enough states in on this are mighty goddamn slim. Even then, there'd be a giant brouhaha over whether the law is an interstate compact that needs the approval of Congress. For now, though, it feels good watching my adopted state's elected representatives getting on board.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-29-2019), lisarea (01-30-2019), Sock Puppet (01-30-2019), The Man (01-29-2019)

Page generated in 0.09017 seconds with 11 queries