View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Flipper 11/11

Default Re: An endless feud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
So an argument can be valid but unsound. In the case posted here valid concusions can be drawn from the starting point, "God exists," but whether the argument is actually sound (i.e., true in reality) depends on whether the "God exists" premise is true.
God either exists or God doesn't so, that should narrow things down a bit. In which case you should be looking for things to support the premise, and there are all kinds of things to support that. Whether or not folks choose to acknowledge it though, is not up to me. If, however, you have enough pieces of the puzzle, and put it together the way it was meant to be put together, it's about as plain as the nose on your face, as far as I'm concerned. It is self-evident in other words.

But, then again, "I," in accord with I-acchus or, that part of us that is genuine, and/or is spiritual or, our true identity, doesn't really exist. Which of course is tantamount to saying no-thing, not even 1 + 1 = 2, is self-evident. Why? because there is no (genuine) self to compare it to ... other than the electro-chemical processes within the brain. But, this is just a means of exchanging information. The information is genuine, yes, as is whatever it is that exists on the other side of the exchange (the mind) that is evaluating it. However, to misconstrue the inputs and outputs (the genuine parts) with its means of exchange (the workings of the brain), really does a disservice to those genuine souls who are attempting to study it. In fact it can make all the difference in the world or, not-world (i.e., that which is immaterial). :yup:

If, on the other hand, we all had a true identity, and were given the ability to examine the truth about reality, first and foremost, without the need to ever discuss the means by which it is obtained (unless you wish to discuss that specifically, as pertains to the brain/mind exchange or, the mind itself), guess what? It gives us a chance to believe in ourselves for a change, for we no longer need to take science's or, anyone else's word for it. How so? because it is self-evident! :yup:

Notwithstanding it may require a disciplined mind (not just a brain) in order to do so ... which, is more a matter of science.

Like to download a copy of my book, The Advent of Dionysus? . . . It's free! :whup:

Page generated in 0.32740 seconds with 11 queries