View Single Post
Old 11-29-2016, 05:16 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: The Make Something Every Week Contest

I have figured out how to make the easiest dog cookies.

This is a pretty big problem in our house because our dogs are severely cute and also very good, and also they steal our spots on the couch sometimes and need to be bribed, so they get a LOT of cookies. And dog cookies are weirdly expensive plus sometimes, they're way too big and you have to break them up into smaller pieces lest the dogs get really fat.

So here is how you can do.

You put a bunch of rolled oats in the food processor and pulse it until it's a flourlike consistency. Peel some cooked sweet potatoes (I microwave them), and add them to the oat flour. Add one or more eggs, depending. You're aiming for a fairly stiff, dry dough that's still cohesive. It doesn't need to rise or anything, so it's mostly just a texture thing. Then, you can add flavorings as needed. We have a batch I made with red garnet potatoes that I added a couple tablespoons of peanut butter to, and I just made a batch with purple sweet potatoes and a couple teaspoons of bacon fat.

Mix that all together until it's a consistent, workable texture, then roll it out into as close to a rectangle as you can get, put it on a parchment lined baking sheet, then score it with a knife or a pizza cutter or something. Because this isn't a fussy thing, I've actually been rolling them out straight on the baking sheet to limit the number of things I have to wash.

Then, put it in a 350F oven for let's say twenty minutes to half an hour, until it's almost a hard texture. Then turn the oven off and leave the cookies in there while it cools off. You can leave it in as long as you like. They'll just get crunchier.

Then, you just take them out, break them apart at the scores, and give dogs a thousand cookies every day.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-29-2016), Janet (12-03-2016), slimshady2357 (11-29-2016), Sock Puppet (11-30-2016), SR71 (11-29-2016)

Page generated in 0.14028 seconds with 11 queries