View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Words are futile devices.

Default Re: Ensign Steve waxes philosophical on the Singularity, a thrad by Ensign Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Post the first a little bit of background

There's a great introduction to what the hell I mean when I say "the singularity" at this link:

IO9: What Is The Singularity And Will You Live To See It?

Basically, the singularity refers to a theoretical point in the future when artificial intelligence created by humans becomes so intelligent that we can no longer control or even comprehend it.What about evolution?Do you consider it in your theory?Won't our brain evolve with time as well?If you're referring to robots, I think we might reach that state where robots are not controllable when we allow the robots to create, innovate etc..If we simply gave them a set of command that they have to perform then we wouldn't be in danger. How do you think we can develop robots that have consciousness like our own when we can't even figure out our own brains?Interesting topic ensign :)

It is a concept that has been played around with a lot in science fiction, like The Terminator, The Matrix, and Battlestar Galactica, just to name a few. Pretty much any time the machines rise up and enslave humanity, that's the singularity. In Terminator, they gave it a date. Judgement Day was August 29, 1997. In Battlestar Galactica, it has a sort of BC/AD connotation to it, where it marks the end of one era and the beginning of another. I think it does, anyway, I didn't actually watch BSG, but I loved Caprica.If you've seen Spielberg's A.I artificial intelligence, it's roughly a similar idea as well. A company that usually produces robots that carry out house functions etc..decide to create a robot kid!And this robot kid can love, and it will be a substitute for people who can't have kids or anything

answers in bold, my first reply to your first post :P
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (03-12-2013)

Page generated in 0.12865 seconds with 11 queries