Thread: Homeschooling
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 01:19 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Homeschooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
I don't think there's a causal factor. I just don't think public school is all that necessary for learning how to socialize or whatever it is people keep yammering at me about. They act like without traditional schools, kids are kept in a box or something. My kid, now, at 2 socializes with all kinds of people; his age, our age, new agey hippies, Baptists and and everywhere in between, below, and above.
I wouldn't rule it out completely, but I don't think it's a major factor in most cases, and I don't think it'd be a factor at all in yours. Most of the time, it's probably just correlation to people who homeschool to better shelter their kids, and kids who are homeschooled because they have existing social problems.

Anyway, he's a smart kid, so you're going to end up having to homeschool him no matter what. Public schools just aren't set up for that.

And if you do send him to school, odds are that on top of teaching him yourselves, you'd end up spending extra time and effort on damage control as well, to counter the effects of the boredom, pointlessness, and just outright wrongness of the things they'd be teaching him there.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (02-12-2008)

Page generated in 0.26028 seconds with 11 queries