View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Springtime for Geek Girls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Also, FOURTEEN. Adolescence is really hard and really weird. That's when you start trying to figure out in earnest what sort of a grownup you're going to be, and noticing a whole lot of things about the world that are nonsensical and stupid and evil. So it is very normal for a kid that age to reject things just because they are popular, and maybe try to carve out some sort of outsider persona. I'd argue that it's actually a good thing because it means she's observant. Stuff really does suck.
Yes, it does, but I think she should probably at least know enough about the stuff to make a reasonable determination of suckage (or at least enough to know it probably doesn't suit her tastes) rather than just assuming it sucks because other people like it. Like I said, she loved Twilight, was all over that shit, and it was so popular my 70 year old mother-in-law was a big old fan.

I understand that she's 14 and that it is a really hard and terrible age to be. You couldn't pay me to go back to middle school.

I just wish I could find anything at all that she finds enjoyable or interesting.

Page generated in 0.37184 seconds with 11 queries