View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 02:51 PM
puzzler

Default Re: Saxophone hints and tips

The tenor has arrived. I've just been out to buy some reeds for it as it only came with one beaten up unplayable reed, and the alto reeds I already have are too small.

The supplied Yamaha 4C mouthpiece has a groove cut in the top from the previous player's teeth. I've filled the groove with epoxy glue and once it's cured I'll file it back to shape; I use some little stick on 'bite guard' patches on the alto, so I'll put one of those over the repaired area - then it won't be too obvious and I won't be sucking on epoxy glue. I found some special two-part acrylic black glue for sale that would be ideal for a near-invisible repair, but the smallest pack of glue you can buy (I would only be using a tiny part of that) costs over half as much as a brand new mouthpiece of the same type. Once I get used to the thing I may be buying a better mouthpiece anyway.

The cork on the neck where the mouthpiece fits is also worn out - so the mouthpiece is a loose fit, but I can seal that up with plumber's tape for now and I've ordered some cork sheet so I can make it back like new.

Besides that and needing a good clean, it looks great for its age. I've not tried playing it yet though: I have to wait for the epoxy glue to cure as I bunged that on the worn mouthpiece before going out to buy reeds.

Page generated in 0.23701 seconds with 11 queries