View Single Post
Old 07-28-2004, 04:32 AM
butterface

Default Re: What's for Dinner?

California kudzu. Snerk.

Decided not to do the lamb korma. Contemplated the footlong shopping list generated when I tried to remember all the ingredients, and even considering the ones I'm probably forgetting it was intimidating. Besides, I've been in kind of a rut lately w/r/t great vats of orangish ethnic-y food. I am suffering from orange ethnic food fatigue. So this is what we had instead, adapted from a recipe on Epicurious.

Chicken Fricasee with Leeks and Mushrooms

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 of those styrofoam boxes of sliced white mushrooms
1 giant leek or two tiny ones, white and light green parts only, sliced thinly (I used one-and-a-half regular-sized ones, and felt vaguely dissatisfied; what does one do with half a leek?)
2/3c dry white wine
3/4c half and half
fresh tarragon, chopped, about a tablespoon and a half
Butter
S&P

Flour for dredging, paprika

In heavy skillet over medium-high heat, cook mushrooms in butter until they have thrown off most of their liquid and are getting brown. Set aside.

Dredge chicken in flour to which you have added salt and pepper and paprika for color. Heat more butter in same skillet, add chicken and leeks and, again on medium-high, brown chicken for about 8 minutes.

Add tarragon, wine, half and half, and mushrooms. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for about four minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Uncover and continue to simmer for 15 or so minutes or until sauce has cooked down a bit. Add more S&P if needed. Done.

We had this with brown rice and the fantastic asparagus that the mediocre market around the corner has inexplicably been carrying lately.

It made my house smell very French, and it was a snap. I imagine that if you have someone to impress in a romantic sense, this would be the thing to serve them.

Page generated in 0.09234 seconds with 11 queries