Thread: Gadgetry
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 02:16 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Gadgetry

Weeelllp, looks like I bricked my new phone.

It became pretty obvious that they were not making rooting easy, so I decided after a couple of tries to actually pay someone to root it because it had a guarantee and because I really don't like Android and hate how I have to wade through all that trash to do the simplest thing that I never want to do again. So I did, and I was on with this guy for HOURS. And I mean like five, six hours, fighting with that garbage phone, before finally, at almost midnight, he got an update to complete successfully, and then, dead. Just stone cold dead. I cannot get any sign of life from this phone at all now. I would not be surprised if that was intentional, like LG put that out there to intentionally brick devices rather than let people root them.

Do I regret trying, though? OH HELL NO. There was no way in hell I was going to use that infernal machine the way it was. So, just for one example, they hide or disable even the weakest ass user controls in Android, so in order to disable automatic OTA updates, you have to go to one of those stupid 'secret' menus from the dialer. (277634#*#, which I hope I forget soon because I do not want that taking up long term memory.) But even after I did that, it kept turning them on again. If you swap the battery or I think even turn the phone off and on again, and then turn it back on with wifi enabled (I never even put my SIM card in), it instantly starts updating apps. There were over 70 of them the last time I restarted it, all just bullshit garbage. That I not only didn't ask for, but explicitly told it not to do.

Seriously, think about how obscene that is for just a second. It makes me kind of sick when people talk about how they have these super-powerful computers in their pockets like it's a good thing. I mean, yeah, it's true. You do have a super-powerful computer in your pocket, but it's not yours. Not only can you not do what you want with it, but you can't prevent others from doing what they want.

So whatever. This is my life now. This is what I do with whatever is left of my life: Fight with obnoxious mobile devices.
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-17-2018), BrotherMan (02-18-2018), But (02-17-2018), ceptimus (02-17-2018), Corona688 (02-20-2018), Crumb (02-17-2018), JoeP (02-17-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (02-17-2018), mickthinks (02-17-2018), Pan Narrans (02-17-2018), ShottleBop (02-18-2018)

Page generated in 0.07008 seconds with 11 queries