Thread: ice
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 02:38 PM

Default Re: ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Over a number of years several different people have told my that when making ice cubes it is better to fill the trays with hot water than cold water since the hot water will freeze quicker. The usual explination is that when the water starts cooling the hot water will cool down faster, due to the temperature differential, and the dropping temperature of the hot water will catch up and pass the dropping temperature of the cold water. As if the temperature dropping has some kind of inertia that keeps it dropping at a faster rate. My own thought is that the drop in temperature is strictly related to the differential of the temperature of the water and that of the freezer, so that as the hot water cools down the rate of cooling will slow and the temperature of the hot water will not catch up since the cold water had a 'head start'. Has this concept ever been tested in a controled situation or is it just passed of as silly? Is there some mechanism of heat transfer that can procede with a kind of inertia that will allow the hot water to catch up with the cold water before it freezes?

PS, I have no means to test this myself, and like some scientific ideas it sounds just crazy enough to be true.
Perhaps you could just start drinking your whiskey without ice. That way you would not have to wait so long.

Page generated in 0.36249 seconds with 11 queries