View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 08:55 AM
mesospheric bore

Default Democracy 2020: non-US edition

I voted today.

Voter registration was online. Just log in, check details are right, done. I did that a couple of months ago. Probably slightly more involved for new voters but still pretty easy by all accounts.

The easy-vote card arrived in the mail a couple of weeks ago. You don't need it, but it makes it easier for the poll workers to look you up on their copies of the roll and give you the appropriate ballots.

Two minute drive from home to the polling place, one of many I can choose from. It's been open for the last two weeks and will be until the polls close tomorrow.

Had to wait in line... behind a single person. For about a minute until a poll worker opened up another one.

Got the paper ballots. Four ticks - one for local MP, one for party (we have a mixed proportional system), referendum on weed, referendum on euthanasia.

Done.

Mind you, the actual politics around our elections has been particularly stupid over the last decade (although also entertaining). Might post some more on that later.

Should have provisional results tomorrow night. The final results don't usually change much, and only make a difference if something is particularly close. Labour under Jacinda Ardern almost a certainty to be returned to government. Main open questions are whether they will need the Greens to form a coalition, and whether legal weed squeaks through.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-16-2020), Ensign Steve (10-16-2020), JoeP (10-16-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-16-2020), slimshady2357 (10-16-2020), SR71 (10-16-2020), Stephen Maturin (10-17-2020), Stormlight (10-27-2020), viscousmemories (10-16-2020), vremya (10-16-2020)

Page generated in 0.27012 seconds with 11 queries