Thread: Documentaries
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 09:44 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: Documentaries

"Jodorowsky's Dune"

I've been meaning to say something about Jodorowsky - I watched "Holy Mountain" and I didn't know exactly what to make of it. It's trippy and weird, and I both liked and hated it.

I heard about this from a recent "The Flop House" podcast episode. Jodorowsky, after initial successes, was offered anything he'd like to do, and he chose Dune. Jodorowsky had a grand vision about what he was planning to make and assembled a team of "warriors" to make it. He produced a book which was filled with details about the story, the design, the characters, everything. It was, essentially, the movie in book form. They produced it to show the Hollywood executives what the movie would be and how it would work.

I would love to get a copy of that book. It'd be ridiculously expense to produce, but it sounds fascinating to read.

Even though this movie was never produced, it's influence is significant. The people who help Jodorowsky produce the content in the book are significant modern film influences. There were ideas in the book that were reworked for other epic Science Fiction movies, like "Star Wars" and especially "Alien" - HR Giger and Dan O'Bannon worked together first on "Dune."
Thanks, from:
Janet (09-23-2014), Stormlight (09-22-2014)

Page generated in 0.05643 seconds with 11 queries