View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 11:08 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Peacegirl, given your current answers I have three stories of light for you to consider.

Story 1: The sun emits some light which, along with all the light of other wavelengths, contains red light which travels towards the ball. The ball is red, so (this means) it absorbs all the other light, reflecting only our red light which bounces off and heads towards the camera. The photograph happens to be taken when this red light arrives at the camera, so the shutter opens as the red light arrives and this red light hits the film resulting in a red photograph of the red ball.

Do you have any problems with this story?

Story 2: The sun emits some light which, along with all the light of other wavelengths, contains blue light which travels towards the ball. The ball is blue, so (this means) it absorbs all the other light, reflecting only our blue light which bounces off and heads towards the camera. The photograph happens to be taken when this blue light arrives at the camera, so the shutter opens as the blue light arrives and this blue light hits the film resulting in a blue photograph of the blue ball.

Do you have any problems with this story?

Story 3: The sun emits some light which, along with all the light of other wavelengths, contains red light which travels towards the ball. The ball is red, so (this means) it absorbs all the other light, reflecting only our red light which bounces off and heads towards the camera. However, the ball changes color from red to blue immediately after reflecting this red light towards the camera (and therefore before our red light gets to the camera). So the ball was red when the red light hit it and bounced off towards the camera, but is blue (i.e. has begun absorbing red light and reflecting only blue light) during the time this previously reflected red light is in transit between the ball and the camera. The photograph happens to be taken when this red light arrives at the camera, so the shutter opens as the red light arrives and this red light hits the film resulting in a red photograph of the blue ball.

Where does this story go wrong, according to your version of what is happening?
I can see where the problem is. The image at the camera could not be blue if the light was first red because, according to science, photons are packets of light energy that aren't connected to each other and are coming out of the factory as separate entities. Therefore, they strike the film in the order in which they arrived.
So what's your solution?
I don't have one. All I know is that there is a contradiction but this in no way means Lessans' observations were at fault. I'm going to leave it at that because we're not going to make any progress coming from two completely different positions. Only time will tell who was right. We won't be able to figure it out in here, that's for sure.
Time has already told. You and Lessans are wrong. You claim to see the problem and have absolutely no solution. That means your claims have been refuted. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

You can't explain, even in your own terms and by reference to your own beliefs about how light works, how real-time photography is even possible. And yet you require real-time photography to maintain the possibility of efferent vision.

Can you at least agree that efferent vision/real-time photography are impossible given the assumptions about light and physics you had agreed to in the answers you gave to my questions? And that efferent vision will therefore require rejecting at least some of these basic properties of light and physics?

You've just agreed that you are holding contradictory beliefs in your attempt to maintain belief in efferent vision. Why aren't you interested in resolving those contradictions? Why is it more important to you to continue believing in efferent vision than it is to be logically consistent and avoid false beliefs (contradictory beliefs imply that at least one must be false)?
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (10-25-2011), Vivisectus (10-25-2011)

Page generated in 0.14115 seconds with 11 queries