View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Homosexuality in the Bible . . . and You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
And by critical analysis you mean hardcore fundamentalist denialism.
No Watser, I dont. Both Vines and the critique speak from a position of presuming the Bible to be true and fairly literal. If Vines had claimed that some of the New Testament passages were merely poetic, then I suppose it might be fair to contrast the critique as being comparatively hardcore. But in actual fact I think both were speaking the same language.
Vine's primary point in the presentation is not whether homosexual relationships are normal/healthy/acceptable/ok. Rather his primary point is whether the Bible supports the idea. And so long as your position on the Bible is one of taking it as authoritative, then it doesnt matter whether you have a moderately liberal interpretation of the Bible or whether you are a hard core fundamentalist in your interpretation - it's just about what that book says. All sides agree that most English translations imply that homosexual sexual relationships are illicit for Christians, that there is controversy over the 6 or so passages that are usually translated as referring to homosexuality, and that the New Testament passages that clearly describe relationships for Christians portray either eunuchs/singleness or heterosexual marriage.
I know it seems hardcore these days to say anything about homosexuality not being an option in all cases and all environments, but the Bible is what it is. Vines doesnt have to follow it - there are many other non-biblical religions to choose from.

Page generated in 0.12756 seconds with 11 queries