View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 01:54 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

News Hooray. We're In ... Delaware?

You may have already guessed but I am incredibly jelli that popular states like Oklahoma and Lolorado have their own news and reports thrads. Truth is I only vaguely pay attention to real news anyway let alone anything that happens around here. Oh, I'm not really about to correct that behavior, but I am creating an easy to index repository for all the stories I trip over on the internet about Delaware.

Previously, on This Old State:

I haven't passed by an update to the forensics story, maybe if I'm feeling motivated I'll do an google search. (ES: Update the googles for me, pls.)

There is a minor update to the I-495 story: As of sometime last week the southbound lanes have been reopened. I assume they're still shooting for pre-Labor Day week/end to get the whole shebang going again. And as far as I know they're still researching who to blame and fine for causing all this nonsense.

And now today there is a great news story that is right up :ff:'s alley!

Cremated Remains ("Cremains") Found in Funeral Home

Quote:
Nine unclaimed containers found inside a Dover funeral home contain the ashes of nine victims of the 1978 Jonestown Massacre, according to Dover police and the Delaware Department of Safety and Homeland Security Division of Forensic Science.

The discovery was among 38 small containers of unclaimed ashes found inside the former Minus Funeral home by the property's owner, said Kimberly Chandler, a spokeswoman with the state Department of Safety and Homeland Security. She said Thursday she didn't know who the property owner is and when they made the discovery.

State forensic investigators responded last week to a request to check the building after the containers were discovered. Dover police provided assistance.

"It was definitely a shock when we found out exactly what we had," said Dover police spokesman Mark Hoffman. "Obviously it's an intriguing story and a tragic story, and to think this was found right here in our jurisdiction, about six blocks from the police department, makes it very compelling to us."
Nearby Dover Air Force Base is the hub where (all/most?) American bodies are shipped if they die overseas. Though I'm only about 80% confident in that statement as it sits. I know for fact that all servicemen and women go through the Port Mortuary. I'm not sure how arrangements work for regular civilians in non-governmental roles are processed. So it would seem standard procedure to use the facility to accept and process large numbers of people, like we had at Jonestown.

As the article states, no one is certain how those remains found their way into a civilian funeral home. My uneducated guess leads me to believe that the large numbers of remains from Jonestown couldn't be handled by the Port Mortuary alone. Rampant conspiracy speculation wants me to say that it's possible their are urns of other remains at other area funeral homes.

So.

Anyway.

Here's our :ff: thrad for the Luxembourg of the USA. I'll do my best to make you proud.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-08-2014), curses (08-08-2014), Ensign Steve (08-08-2014), LadyShea (08-08-2014), lisarea (08-08-2014), Nullifidian (08-09-2014), Pan Narrans (08-08-2014), Qingdai (08-08-2014), S.Vashti (08-08-2014), Stephen Maturin (08-08-2014), Stormlight (08-08-2014), The Man (02-04-2016), Watser? (08-08-2014)

Page generated in 0.40547 seconds with 11 queries