View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Compensating for something...

Default Re: What the fuck, Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
I am going to have to call a hyperbole foul on this one. According to the article the legislature has done no such thing. The Senate bill has been passed by the Judiciary Committe, on a 5 to 2 vote. The similar House bill was scheduled for a hearing before the House Judiciary Committee. I gather, from the article, that neither bill has been debated, much less passed, by either chamber. That is a far cry from your claim that the legisture has "declared that church and state are not separate".
I'm going to add another one.

Apparently this is what is being deleted:
Quote:
No revenue of the state or any political subdivision or agency thereof shall ever be taken from the public treasury directly or indirectly in aid of any church, sect, or religious denomination or in aid of any sectarian institution
It seems that any form of aid at all is prohibited. For example, school aid which may be available to secular schools. SCOTUS decisions in Zelman , Tilton v Richardson and Mueller v. Allen indicate that there are cases when providing assistance to religious groups is acceptable. Or apparently what started this off was Council for Secular Humanism v. McNeil currently pending in the Florida Court System. Two religious groups operate halfway houses which assist former prisoners on parole overcome their substance abuse problems under contract from the Dept of Corrections. The first court decision went to the faith-based organisation, the district court of appeal partially reversed, and now the Florida Supreme Court is taking a look at it. From Council for Secular Humanism v. McNeil | Center for Inquiry
Quote:
CSH's complaint is based on the Florida Constitution, not the Establishment Clause of the United States Constitution. CSH made a deliberate decision to seek relief under the Florida Constitution, because it has a very broad prohibition on aid to religious institutions.
Removing the line is going to lower the standard to that of the First amendment, not undermine it.

It does not appear to be quite as simple as initially made out.

Quote:
because Rick Scott has declared his intention to drug test literally everyone who works for the state government four times a year, despite the fact that this is a very clear violation of the Fourth Amendment
Is it?

Federal civilian government employees are subject to routine drug testing, at least in DoT and DHS, this hasn't proven to be much of a Constitutional issue. Indeed, when I hold a drug test in my unit, I specifically have to read out that 'There is no probable cause or reasonable suspicion that anyone is the unit is using drugs' to emphasise that the mandatory testing is purely non-specific. (I have to do one a quarter, it's at my discretion as to when in that quarter). What's the difference between having to take a test to see if you're intoxicated on marijuana just because you happen to be working for the government vs taking a test to see if you're intoxicated on alcohol just because you happen to be exercising your freedom of movement?

NTM

Last edited by California Tanker; 04-24-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-25-2011)

Page generated in 0.16307 seconds with 11 queries