View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 07:27 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: Movies that aren't really BAD -- but aren't very good, either

The Bling Ring and The Bling Ring

Both are about the same subject: A group of fame obsessed teens break into the homes of stars and steal all sorts of stuff.

One is a TV Movie that is a dramatized retelling of the story. The other is a movie that's "inspired by actual events". I decided to put both on my DVD queue.

The Bling Ring TV movie is a TV movie, so it has blandsome actors and a cable TV budget. Paris Hilton's house has one small walk-in closet, and an actress vaguely resembling her is only seen at a distance with large sunglasses.

The Bling Ring movie has better scenery and better (on average) actors. The teens motivations are less obvious, they're more stupid, and because it's not a TV-PG movie, the kids drink, smoke and get high on various drugs.

The TV movie is centered on the primary boy of the group, how befriending the popular "bad girl" in class helps him overcome his anxiety, so as soon as she starts getting bored with him, he leverages his father's knowledge (from being a studio accountant) and the celebrities own social media to locate, invade and eventually rob their houses.

The movie is not quite so centered, spreading focus across the group, particularly Emma Watson's character. The kids are aimless and acting on impulse until they get caught. There are only hints at the motivations of the individuals.

Ironically, I liked the TV Movie version slightly better. There's a very simple narrative arc, lays out the events in logical fashion, and gives adequate motivations to each person. It's more interested in telling the real story, or real enough for a TV movie story.

So much less seems to happen in the movie, but they both have basically the same running time.

Would I recommend either? Probably not, unless you're interested in the story, or at least the concept of the story.
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (03-08-2017), The Man (03-08-2017)

Page generated in 0.30873 seconds with 11 queries