View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 12:13 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Default Re: North Carolina, you got called the fuck out!

They got a narrow majority in votes statewide, but due to extreme gerrymandering, they have a supermajority in the legislature.

It's pretty hard to see a way out while gerrymandering like that is legal. Or the Republicans will have to have pretty horrific elections in 2018 and/or 2020.

If the environment gets so negative for them that their gerrymanders can be overcome to retake state legislatures and such, I do think that Democrats' first priority needs to be to pass serious voting and redistricting reforms.

And if they retake state legislatures in 2018 and can't be blocked by say a GOP governor, I'm gonna go on record as in favor of redoing district maps before the 2020 elections.

These types of political reforms ought to be a top priority at the national level as well, but nothing can be done until at least 2021 because of Trump. A renewed and beefed up VRA should be a top priority, as well as DC statehood. DC voted for statehood in 2016 by a margin of 86-14, so if Congress voted on it, it'd be pretty much a done deal. I'd say they should look at Puerto Rico statehood as well, I'd say, although public opinion about statehood there is less clear. They're holding another referendum this year, but a result for statehood won't be binding, which could affect the result. I suspect that given that some of PR's fiscal issues would be reduced by becoming a state that support might be higher now than in the past.

Anyway, point is Democrats need to push political and voting reforms that help them strongly, particularly since they happen to be the right thing and the small-d democratic thing to do anyway.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (05-23-2017), The Man (05-23-2017)

Page generated in 0.21274 seconds with 11 queries