View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
... I am more interested in the topic at hand than I am in the hook they used as lead-in for one of the articles.
I think the topic in hand—consumer profiling and targeted marketing—is better understood if it isn't shrouded in a cloud of spin-doctored emotion. I'm saying that, notwithstanding any other reasons you have for opposing such practices, the story you have linked to doesn't strike me as problematic. If you think it is problematic, perhaps you'll be willing to say why.
What's ironic here is that I linked to two versions of effectively the same story. The first version, from Forbes, is the one titled with the anecdote. I linked to that one first for people who might not feel like reading the far more detailed version of the story, which I linked to second.

My reasoning being that people might like to see the shorter and less substantive version before deciding whether they wanted to read the longer, more in depth version.

Neither article is exclusively or even primarily concerned with the anecdote that's pulled out in the title of the shorter story. However, you don't seem to have read either one beyond the title.

The 'Target accidentally revealing a teenager's pregnancy to her father' aspect is not the point of either story.

Quote:
Chill out, mick. lol That's just :ff: code for "don't argue with my opinions when I tell you you're wrong"
No. You are continuing to assume that I'm somehow fixated on or even really interested in the interpersonal drama aspect of the story after I told you I'm not.

You're wrong, and this whole line of discussion is boring and pointless.
Thanks, from:
The Man (03-27-2015)

Page generated in 0.23228 seconds with 11 queries