View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 01:38 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Default Re: Autism, Asperger's, ASD, and maybe people who are just annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
It's been very difficult to answer these questions over the years... sometimes I just wish my family was normal.

Y'know, Kev...I think everybody must ask that at times. I know I sure did. The thing is, as I've grown older, I've come to the realization that NO family is normal. ALL families are dysfunctional in some way, shape, or form.

My mother was a chronic depressive, later a chronic manic-depressive. She was never diagnosed at 'borderline'. She would have bouts of severe clinical depression where she would withdraw and become mostly uncommunicative. I don't think she was ever involuntarily committed, but she was talked into voluntary commitment more times than I can remember. I'd say that about half the time we spent together on this planet, she was institutionalized in one mental hospital or another. Since she had her onset prior to the "we've decided you're weird and we're putting you on meds" time, she instead got the joy of incarceration and electro-convulsive therapy more times than I can remember...and she lost most of her memories. I had all too many confrontations with my mother which no child should have with their mother...no matter their age.

Oh...the "we've decided you're weird and we're putting you on meds" time helped her more than any other aspect of care provided her. The problem was that, in situations of climatic heat waves, her electrolyte balances would go off and she'd be headed for another hospitalization...but they got much shorter once they were just titrating for the right mix.

So...seebs...what's your armchair diagnosis of me?

Page generated in 0.26393 seconds with 11 queries