View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 09:13 AM
Solipsist

Default Re: Ensign Steve waxes philosophical on the Singularity, a thrad by Ensign Steve

It's a cool idea, but what?

Quote:
First, there is little agreement among scientists about exactly what information is. Second, when scientists refer to information they are often actually talking about the way energetic activity is organised in physical systems. Third, brain imaging techniques such as fMRI, PET and EEG don’t detect information in the brain, but changes in energy distribution and consumption.

Brains, I argue, are not squishy digital computers – there is no information in a neuron. Brains are delicate organic instruments that turn energy from the world and the body into useful work that enables us to survive. Brains process energy, not information.
Gonads.

That's like saying when I examine my computer all I can detect is heat, fans, air movement and a couple of lights, all of which is energy. Computers are therefore not actually computers.

The rest of the articles references some sense but pulls it together into an incoherent acid trip.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Ari (11-19-2018), But (11-06-2018), Crumb (11-06-2018), SR71 (11-06-2018)

Page generated in 0.13098 seconds with 11 queries