View Single Post
Old 04-28-2020, 11:31 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: Seen Any Good Movies...?

Recently rewatched The Stepfather, which is a classic '80s thriller. It cheap and cheesy trash, but it's well executed. Terry O'Quinn is really the linchpin of the movie, capable of being both congenial and likable but also weird and violent.

As the audience, you know that O'Quinn is the bad guy from the starting scene, where he changes appearance after walking away from a brutal murder. One year after that murder, he's now known as "Jerry Blake" and he has married again. Stephanie (Jill Schoelen - the real reason I rewatched this movie) thinks there's something off about her new stepfather, and it's not just because she recently lost her father, or Jerry's flat platitudes. She suspects that Jerry is much worse than just a bland man who wants to act like her real father.

The movie is a not-too-subtle satire about the suburban American dream. Jerry is all about family. It sounds great to casual acquaintances and coworkers, but it's such a narrow definition of family. He's never entirely satisfied with his family life - never completely realizing the problem starts with him. Once it feels like the situation has soured beyond his ability to repair it, he's willing to kill off the current family and start again.

As an aside, this is set in the Seattle area. He switches from Bellevue to a fictional town on the Kitsap Pennisula, and then back across the Puget Sound. Based on housing prices alone, this would be impossible to do today.

I also recently rewatched Thor: Ragnorok accidentally. I was making some home network changes, and wanted to make sure that the 4K video was still streaming. I picked this because the DisneyPlus videos were giving me trouble when I first set up the network. I only expected to watch 15 minutes or so to confirm the streaming worked, but I watched the whole thing. It's just fun.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (04-28-2020), Crumb (04-29-2020), lisarea (04-28-2020), slimshady2357 (04-29-2020), Sock Puppet (04-29-2020), Stormlight (04-29-2020), The Man (05-01-2020)

Page generated in 0.34925 seconds with 11 queries