View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Default Re: Well, is has been fun ...

No, the student hadn't touched it, so we're good there.

So, I showed up a little before 11:00 in the emergency room. Man, they couldn't wait to get me processed and into a waiting room. Evidently, they'd received a very pointed phone call from the Regional Supervisor.

So, I was ushered into a waiting room, where I ... waited. I could hear the nurses arguing occasionally. "Is it given IM?" "What's the dosage?" After 40 minutes or so, I was ready to go out there and say: "Look, the dosage is given IM (intramuscularly), and it's weight-dependent. You took my weight when I came in, so find a calculator, calculate the proper dose, and let's get on with it."

Eventually, a nurse came in to give me the injections. The way that rabies vaccination works is that first you get a large dosage of immunoglobulins to combat any virus that might be present. In my case, that wasn't actually necessary -- but procedure is procedure, I suppose. Then you get 4 follow-up shots of the actual vaccine.

Because you're not supposed to get more than 30 cc of the immunoglobulins in any particular muscle, the nurse gave me 4 shots of the immunoglobulins -- one in each arm, and one in each leg.

But, as it happened, they didn't have the actual vaccine. No, that was at the Health Department. :doh:

So I then had to go to the Health Department to get the actual vaccination. (I have to go back on Saturday, then Wednesday, and finally next Wednesday.)

So, at least I'm now squared away. I swear, I should have bitten a few people.

I just got off the phone with the Regional Supervisor, who was very apologetic about the whole thing, and promised that he was going to have some very serious conversations with the various people involved. Seriously, why recommend the vaccination at all when no one seems to know a.) where the vaccine is, b.) who should be administering it, and c.) how to administer it?

There's a 10-day period after you're bitten by a rabid animal during which you can be treated. After that, the disease begins to manifest, and it's essentially 100% fatal. If I had been bitten and if I'd waited a few days before seeking help, this could easily have been a disaster.
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-28-2018), BrotherMan (03-01-2018), Crumb (02-28-2018), Dingfod (03-03-2018), JoeP (02-28-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (02-28-2018), Kyuss Apollo (03-11-2018), lisarea (02-28-2018), Pan Narrans (02-28-2018), Sock Puppet (03-01-2018), SR71 (03-02-2018), The Man (03-01-2018), Watser? (03-01-2018)

Page generated in 0.34904 seconds with 11 queries