View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Clutchenheimer

Default Re: Numbers, how do they work

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
I may very well be jumping the gun, but it was such a horrid struggle for me, and doubly problematic because I was 1. very used to things being easy.
Ayup. Years ago one of my own li'l muffins was diagnosed with a learning disability in math. On account of she met the formal definition: performance on math testing was more than two standard deviations below her general reasoning test scores. But that was entirely about her general reasoning, not her math: her performance on math tests was squarely in the middle of the normal range. So she was in some sense just fine in math, and in another sense frustrated that math was so hard for her -- i.e., convinced that it was subjectively harder for her than for other people -- because she couldn't do math perfectly while also thinking about dinosaurs and ball pythons full-time.

Anyhow, we just worked a little more number awareness into our routines, and that seemed to make some difference. For example, at that time, she and I were doing exercises together in the mornings, and I would get her to count up to 30 as we did sit-ups, but she would count by 3s or 7s or whatever.
Janet (11-15-2012), Kael (11-16-2012), LadyShea (11-15-2012), lisarea (11-15-2012), SR71 (11-15-2012)

Page generated in 0.16551 seconds with 11 queries