View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 04:27 AM
Not drowning. Waving.

Default Re: The generic "Look at what Israel's doing now" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
And the Israelites, during the Conquest of Canaan. They practically invented ethnic cleansing.
Yabut they did it on God's orders, so that makes it OK.

Quote:
16 Howbeit of the cities of these peoples, that the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth,
17 but thou shalt utterly destroy them: the Hittite, and the Amorite, the Canaanite, and the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee;
18 that they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods, and so ye sin against the LORD your God. [Deuteronomy 20: 16-18]
The ensuing series of mass slaughters are listed in both the Hanakh and the Old Testament. Because the Jews occupied the Promised Land by wiping out the then existing population and because I reject the notion of divine approval, I don't think the they have any superior right to it compared to that of the Palestinians.

Paley's animation does not lend itself to legitimising the violence. The killings and destruction, 80% of which hit civilians, cannot even begin to be justified on the grounds that nobody ultimately can be said to be the true owners of the land. Nor can it be used to justify the de facto apartheid, forcible evictions and what effectively amounts to establishment of concentration camps, the suicide attacks, firing of rockets and mortar, in short the entire panoply of cruelty, misery and tragedy we're looking at since the 1948 UN resolution. The Jewish state and the western media keep banging the drum about Palestinian terrorism. Yes, it exists, but the fact that the Jews had organisations itself that very effectively enforced that resolution through terrorism, seems to be swept under the carpet. We hear about Hamas and Hezbollah. For how many people does Irgun or Stern Gang ring a bell?

In summary, this is how I see the situation: Neither side has a superior right to the land, and both sides use terror to get their way. Israel's terror campaign has been run by the state for several decades now simply because Israel is a state. Neither side is interested in any form of peaceful coexistence.

Am I sitting on the fence? No. I am firmly on the Jewish side. At least it has a reasonable semblance of a democratic government, though it is a pity that not even a morsel of it drops off the table for the Palestinians. I cannot imagine a Palestinian state that is not a theocracy, replete with Shariah law and all the repression, oppression and medieval "justice" it entails. With one exception the entire Islamic Middle East is run on theocratic lines and in places overlaid with feudal ruling classes. The one exception, Turkey, has been slowly but steadily drifting toward theocracy for the past 13 years. Guess what I prefer.

If forced to lay blame on anyone for that clusterfuck, I suggest a good look at British colonial skulduggery since World War I would be helpful in finding a culprit. Here is a brief account of it:

[/QUOTE]

Page generated in 0.39129 seconds with 12 queries