Thread: Miscellany
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 11:09 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Default Re: Miscellany

American advertising is just so emotionally abusive and manipulative. My current ‘favorite’ youtube ad is a car commercial that starts by showing a bunch of trendy people running on treadmills like at a gym and starts with “The hamsters run in their wheels.” Like, I know we told you that the only way to be cool and happy is to buy a gym membership, wear the right on trend gym clothes and use only the best wifi enabled equipment, but now that you’ve done that, look at what a dumb caged rodent you are. Now if you really want to be cool and happy you’re just one more purchase away from standing out of the pack. Don’t be just another smelly loser rodent, consume, consume, CONSUME!!

One thing that I really like about Condo, that I don’t think a lot of americans understand, is the idea of thanking something for its use even if you no longer want it and are about to toss it away. Being able to appreciate the uses, or joy or ideas that didn’t pan out of stuff runs completely counter to the literal slash and burn of fast trend consumerism. Where everything old is consider useless junk you wouldn’t be caught dead still owning or it’s considered super special to be hoarded even though there’s nothing special about it.

Recently an old media drive started having problems and while I’m sad I’ll need to rerip/download things like DS9, the reality is there was nothing special on the drive because everything was mass produced consumer media. Nothing of value was lost because nothing was actually lost. There are thousands of copies of everything on the drive. With enough people consuming enough media it’s possible even my specific set of media wasn’t original and another drive out there exists with the exact same set of files on it. Not only are we taught to binge, purge and hoard, but many of our hoards might just be an uneeded backup of stuff everyone already has or can easily buy.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-20-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-18-2019), lisarea (08-19-2019), mickthinks (08-20-2019), Miisa (08-19-2019), slimshady2357 (08-19-2019), SR71 (08-19-2019), Stormlight (08-19-2019), The Man (08-18-2019)

Page generated in 0.20367 seconds with 11 queries