View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 02:07 PM
The Dread Poster Robert

Default Re: Podcasts that are totally obscure and worth listening to

If you like interesting history lessons, delivered in 1.5-2 hour chunks (sometimes more), try "Dan Carlin's Hardcore History"--he's had histories (totalling sometimes 8-10 hours) on Genghis Kahn, the Roman Empire, the Persian Empire, World War I--right now, I'm listening to what may be a one-episode discussion of the nuclear power era. They come out every three months or so. Others I listen to (sometimes, not every episode):

#GoodMuslimBadMuslim: Taz and Zahra (funny and informative--they're comics).

2 Dope Queens--recordings of standup comedy, hosted by Phoebe Robinson and Jessica Williams

Are You F*&#ing Sh!#%@ng Me?--random shit (kind of "stuff I didn't know that I think is interesting"--two friends of one of my daughters.

Code Switch (discussions of race)

Common Sense with Dan Carlin--same Dan Carlin who does Hardcore History, discussing his take on current issues.

Dear Sugar/Savage Love/Dear Prudence (agony aunts)

Nancy (about LGBT issues--just heard about it this week and subscribed, but haven't listened to it, yet)

Politically Re-Active with W. Kamau Bell & Hari Kondabolu

Radiolab (interesting one last week, about whether there are any checks on the President's control over the nuclear option)

Snap Judgment (story telling)

Stuff to Blow Your Mind (science geeks)

Stuff You Missed in History Class

The Chauncey DeVega Show (sometimes--he opens each podcast with about half an hour of what's going on with him, personally, then segues to an interview with someone interesting, about politics/history/race)

The Dinner Party Download (folks I know, who pull together music, news, and other stuff meant to help you hold up your own end of a conversation at a dinner party. I hear a lot of music I wouldn't otherwise hear, excerpts from books I otherwise wouldn't be aware of, and other tidbits. Worth checking out.)

The More Perfect Union Podcast--current politics, by a folks with a range of political views.

This American Life
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (07-26-2018), Crumb (04-19-2017)

Page generated in 0.16888 seconds with 11 queries