Thread: UK election
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 09:23 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Re: UK election

DUP leader Arlene Foster is being surprisingly noncommittal about whom she intends to form a government with. A minority government actually looks like a somewhat plausible outcome now.

I do wonder about the Scottish Conservatives as well. The Scots were very anti-Brexit and it had been suggested they might try another independence referendum if Brexit went through. And all of a sudden, there's a spike in votes for the hard-Brexit party? I... don't have an explanation for that. First-past-the-post weirdness might explain some of it, but surely for that to be a factor there would have to be an increase in Tory votes in the first place. I don't have an explanation for that, though it does seem like Ruth Davidson's less extreme stance on Brexit may have influenced the other Scottish Tories. Perhaps that's part of it.

To answer another of fragment's questions above, though, it does look like a lot of UKIP's collapsed vote share went to the Tories, and most of the remaining share went to Labour. If I had to guess, I'd wager probably a two-to-one ratio.

edit: Looks like Foster reached a deal with May. I suspect this is going to be a very unstable coalition, though, not least because the DUP's position is so precarious. It's also a rather bizarre irony that Sinn Féin's abstention may actually result in the DUP having much greater direction over what happens to Northern Ireland in the coming months and years than they would otherwise. I don't fully understand the intricacies of Northern Irish politics, though, so I can't comment on that in as great depth as I would like.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe

Last edited by The Man; 06-09-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-12-2017), JoeP (06-09-2017), Stormlight (06-09-2017)

Page generated in 0.33390 seconds with 11 queries