View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 04:55 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Default Re: Return to Gender 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
I got given an issue of "skeptic magazine" for christmas (irony dance :bonklers:) and ... wouldn't call it a high-quality peer-reviewed journal. It's a profit-driven pop magazine, filled with self-congratulatory tripe and vaguely cringy book-ads. I'm not shocked at all they got taken.
I've spent time reading R/skeptic and while Reddit is an aspy, sexist, racist shithole at times so is the skeptic movement (whole lot of overlap in those Venn diagrams) and thus I have no reason to think that the redditors aren't similar to many other skeptics (especially the cis white male ones). Anyway, I've seen them argue with hat political correctness is what fucked up the Charles Murray and Bell Curve. I've seen heavily upvoted comments rejecting the consensus position and articles by recognized experts that the Bell Curve is racist shite because those statements were made by Murray's opposition. Well that's true of every person who ever designed a perpetual motion machine and was laughed at by a physicist.

In my experience(and I could be projecting here as I was once a young Objectivist, libertarian, skeptic), skeptics skew towards certitude in their own rationality and ability to ubderstand the world. This is generally not too much of of a problem with the hard sciences, but they often ignore the soft sciences or just assume that they know better than the researchers.
Angakuk (06-12-2017), Crumb (06-09-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-09-2017), The Lone Ranger (06-09-2017), The Man (06-09-2017), Watser? (06-09-2017)

Page generated in 0.20444 seconds with 11 queries