View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 12:17 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: Hooray. We're In ... Delaware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
I haven't passed by an update to the forensics story, maybe if I'm feeling motivated I'll do an google search. (ES: Update the googles for me, pls.)
According to this article, the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has been eliminated, the entire department dismantled and everyone terminated/released/fired. Including the Chief Medical Examiner himself. The functions of the OCME have been shifted to the Department of Homeland Security, and during the interim, an outside agency is performing any and all tests on evidence.

In addition to being a poor manager, the former CME turns out to be a guy with more ambition than brains.

Quote:
A News Journal investigation of Callery's outside work in March showed that, since at least 2000, he had a thriving side-business as an expert witness-for-hire, testifying in court proceedings both inside and outside the state, earning him at least $200 an hour on top of his state salary of $198,500 a year.

According to Callery's own résumé, he was deposed as an expert witness or testified at a trial out of state on at least 28 separate occasions between 2010, the year drugs began disappearing at the Medical Examiner's office, and 2012.

Furthermore, Callery moonlighted at as a contract pathologist for both the state of Rhode Island and Chester County, Pa. In the case of Rhode Island, Callery performed 173 autopsies or examinations in that state between 2008 and 2011, earning a total of $189,000, according to records obtained by The News Journal.

"It also appears that Dr. Callery served as a private expert in at least seven cases that were handled by the OCME in violation of the state's prohibitions against conflicts of interest. And it appears on numerous occasions Dr. Callery may have given false information or testimony regarding his professional experience," wrote Landgraf.

The News Journal located at least one of those cases where, in 2008, Callery testified in a Sussex County civil case as a privately-hired expert to dispute the findings of one of his own employees.

The News Journal's March investigation also detailed apparent discrepancies on Callery's resume, which was submitted as an exhibit in an out-of-state court proceeding.

Callery's 2012 resume indicates he worked as a staff pathologist at A.I. du Pont Hospital for Children, the Southern Chester County Medical Center in Jennersville, Pa., and Union Hospital in Elkton. Officials at all three medical centers disputed those claims.
*Emphasis mine

An independent report was prepared by Andrews International and can be found here.

As a final note, remember when I was an juror?

One of the guys pictured in this article testified at that trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Two arrests made in ME Office scandal (May)
Even though nothing of import came from it, the lawyer for the defense went through a lot of trouble to go through the chain of custody and how it worked. That was before the scandal broke but certainly while it was happening. I can't even imagine how district attorneys wanted to tear their hair out if they had cases that had any reliance on the OCME this year.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-08-2014), Ensign Steve (08-08-2014), lisarea (08-08-2014), Nullifidian (08-09-2014), Stephen Maturin (08-09-2014), Stormlight (08-08-2014), The Man (02-04-2016)

Page generated in 0.25804 seconds with 11 queries