View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Re: Official "FUCK THA POLICE" thread

Behold the case of Richard Paey, whose house was subjected to a raid for his horrible crime of... having prescription pain medicine for his Multiple Sclerosis. You read that right. He was convicted of it, of course. Prison officials were nonetheless forced to give him morphine, I guess to prove that the conspiracy theorists at the police and prosecution were right that he was trafficking pills rather than actually needing them. Kudos to Governor Charlie Crist for pardoning the guy.

This isn't the only example of this type of idiocy to occur in my state. In this absurd case, Mark O'Hara was arrested and prosecuted for the similarly appalling crime of... having 58 Vicodin pills with a legal prescription. The prosecution in that case insisted that the "prescription defense" was not recognized by Florida law, and the complete idiot of a judge agreed due to his complete idiocy, so the jury never even heard about the prescriptions. Sentence: mandatory minimum of 25 years. Thankfully, that case was quickly dismissed on appeal, and the appellate-level decision apparently called the prosecutor's pseudo-logic rather harsh words like "ridiculous" and "absurd."

Apparently the latest Penn and Teller focuses on cases like this, with a special focus on forensics and prosecutorial misconduct. While they can be ridiculous when it comes to economics I may have to watch that.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Adam (07-27-2010), Caligulette (07-27-2010), chunksmediocrites (07-27-2010), Doctor X (07-27-2010), LadyShea (07-27-2010), lisarea (07-26-2010), Nullifidian (07-27-2010), Watser? (07-27-2010)

Page generated in 0.40077 seconds with 11 queries