View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 PM
California Sober

Default Re: Saxophone hints and tips

I don't think I have any real groundbreaking advice, but I can't just ignore a thread that is so relevant to my interests.

I would say definitely get at least some beginner lessons, but then I learned before youtube, so it might not apply anymore. But if you've never played a reed instrument, you'll want someone to teach you about moistening the reed and then attaching it to the mouthpiece, and then how to do your mouth when you play (embouchure), how to tune, all that basic stuff. But maybe that is something you can learn on the internet now. Beginner lessons probably wouldn't hurt, though.

Also, mostly, just keep your stuff clean. You can buy specially-sized brushes that look like bottle brushes, and you'll want to dry the saliva out of it after every time playing. Most altos don't have a spit valve, so you need to tip it forward and actually pour it out of the bell. Then get in there with the brushes and dry it the rest of the way. Take the mouthpiece apart and dry off the reed every time you put it away. Also store the reeds in little protective coverers so the tip stays nice and fine and does get all tore up and jagged.

Okay, have fun!
ceptimus (10-06-2012), livius drusus (10-07-2012)

Page generated in 2.90562 seconds with 11 queries