View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 10:03 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Default Re: The only true words of God

Quote:
So my words are just true, what i wrote?
Actually, I think much of what you write is incomprehensible. That I do not respond sometimes means that I despair of knowing that I do so with an adequate understanding of what you meant in the first place. You should NEVER, however, conclude that, if I choose not to challenge you directly, I must concede the validity of your point, whatever you may have intended that point to be.

I do think you are wrong that very little was written in the Torah, the Quran, or the Christian Bible about being nice to your brother [and sister]. I quoted you a passage from Isaiah, but but there is much more, there, if you look.

And it is good to remember that, when asked by a non-Jew to teach him the whole of the [Jewish] Law while he stood on one foot, Rabbi Hillel summarized it by saying: "That which is hateful to you, do not to your neighbor. That is the whole of the Law; the rest is commentary. Now go and learn the commentary."

Similarly, Jesus is reported to have said, "In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets."

So, too, Mohammed recited, "“None of you have faith until you love for your neighbor what you love for yourself.”

And, yes, there's an awful lot of other stuff in each of the books, but the religious scholars who thought deeply about the words in those books and the message that they were intended to convey seemed, by and large, to have distilled things down to similar core principles.

What did Hillel, and Jesus, and Mohammed, have in common? None of them seemed to have trouble seeing the forest for the trees.

Last edited by ShottleBop; 06-16-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-17-2016), The Man (06-16-2016)

Page generated in 0.25438 seconds with 11 queries