View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 03:53 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Bend Over, Facebook is Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
I don't remember that. I don't even really know what an RSS feed is, because I never bothered to find out because why?
It's basically just a list of the blogs and things I subscribe to. It was years ago, but as I recall, it was a popup message or something, and it said that [Lady Shea] wants me to share my RSS feed with her. I don't remember the actual wording, but it was phrased as though you'd explicitly submitted some kind of request to get access to my browsing history or something.

I know I mentioned it to you, but I didn't think you'd actually done that because it was weird and out of character, and if you'd wanted to see that for some reason, you would have just asked me. So that was no big in itself.

But then I looked at my list of contacts, and there are a couple of cordial but distant exes, clients, a few randos I interviewed for articles and things, job contacts, a bunch of people I don't know who they are, and even a few creeps and people I had sort of contentious relationships with; and I imagined THEM getting little popups saying that I was trying to look at their browsing history or their personal photo accounts, and I was like FUUUUUCK. Depending on your relationship with a contact, that sort of thing could come across as anything from overly familiar and unprofessional to downright stalkerish.

And Facebook does a similar kind of thing when they tell your friends you 'liked' things you didn't, like Two Girls One Cup.

I'm coming up on about 40 hours without sleep right now, so not now, but I might later at some point explain my many detailed and extremely boring issues with sloppy artificial social ontologies and why they are almost always grotesquely flawed and stupid.

I know the anticipation is probably killing you guys, but hang tough. I will type so many big gray rectangles for you someday.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-28-2014), Crumb (06-28-2014), Janet (07-11-2014), The Man (06-28-2014)

Page generated in 0.14674 seconds with 11 queries