Thread: News Miscellany
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: News Miscellany

Man, Penzey's is really the best about that.

I unsubscribed from their newsletter in a Great Email Purge a while back, but look at this from their MLK Day letter last year.

Quote:
As much as we don't like to dwell on it too much, for many, the American experience has come with an unhealthy dose of inequality. How do people face injustice without just giving up or letting their anger get the best of them? From our time with the Motleys I think the answer to that question is love. If you have enough love in your life, you have a chance to continue on where others fade away and maybe even hold on long enough to play a part in change. The Motleys' love so clearly flows through their lives and their recipes.

And send your love to today's protesters. They need a bunch of it if they are to be successful—and it would be so good for all of us if they were successful.

In recent years we seem to have developed a romanticized version of Martin Luther King's life, one where he came and had tea with elected officials who then gave his nobility a standing ovation and spontaneously removed all laws of discrimination from the books and sent him on his way with a little box of cookies. It did not happen that way.

Sadly, then as now, anyone working to advance equality all too often comes face to face with the very worst in human nature. For MLK Jr. Day 2015, if you get a chance, please read Dr. King's letter from Birmingham Jail. The letter is long, but it gives great insight to both his time and to why his life so very much deserves celebration.

And if you know anyone continuing his legacy by taking the protest against today's inequality to the streets, baking them a box of cookies really couldn't hurt.

Share your love and have a great weekend,
Bill
I just really, really like that company. And I am out of a few things.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-09-2016), BrotherMan (09-09-2016), Crumb (09-08-2016), Janet (09-10-2016), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-08-2016), slimshady2357 (09-09-2016), Sock Puppet (09-20-2016), SR71 (09-14-2016), Stormlight (09-09-2016), The Man (09-08-2016), Watser? (09-08-2016)

Page generated in 0.17057 seconds with 11 queries