View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 07:31 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Munny View Post
The short version is that it depends what you thought "free will" meant in the first place. If you think it means just that your actions are caused by your desires, then if it turns out that your desires just are brain states, neurology won't limit your free will -- it'll manifest your free will.

If you think free will means that your actions should depend on your will in a way that is not determined by the wider causal order of events in the world, then the fact that brains cause behaviour will certainly seem a puzzle.
I don't know what free will means, actually. I kinda think when people use it they mean that one can consciously choose a course of action from all available options, regardless of their own desires/feelings about the possible consequences or outcomes.

So my understanding of whatever it is is neither free will nor determinism as they are commonly used, but more: "Individuals do what they do because they do it for the reasons they do it". Which isn't much of a philosophy or a wordlview to make a stand about, really.
Thanks, from:
Clutch Munny (11-04-2011)

Page generated in 0.19779 seconds with 11 queries