33% satisfaction guaranteed!

Default Re: Big company takeovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688 View Post
The fact is people hate version control, and github has made it easy to not bother.
Apologies. I don't follow. Can you expand a bit?
People need version control, but don't exactly enjoy it. The centralization in github and its nice webby interface made it easier to involve less technical people.
Something I noticed reading Hacker News comments and chatting with other developers is that the mindshare of github has meant that some coders don't realise that "push" and "pull" don't have to be to and from a central webserver.

I used to work on long lived experimental branches by setting my remote to my office machine which I could get to via an ssh tunnel, making it a clean sync when I carried on working from home. My boss used to worry about my work being backup up, to which I pointed out that Github isn't a cloud-backup solution, and that my six month rotating backups on all my machines, as well as the daily university backups that went onto year-lived tape archives were probably already adequate.

I've also ported repositories by setting up an additional remote for the old one at its directory.

I've worked at a shop where we just had a server that had our repositories in a git user directory on one of our servers and our remote url were ssh urls. I still do that for my VPS repos. I'd like it if we could do that at our own place. I think it would be a pretty small amount of work to automate pull requests compared to all the other administrative tasks that have to be done.

Page generated in 0.16155 seconds with 11 queries