Thread: Rock Me Tonite
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 04:37 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: Rock Me Tonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
Rob Halford was a case of hiding in plain sight. Anybody familiar with the leather bar scene had it figured out for years, but to the clueless demographic he was playing to (12- to 19-year-old hetero boys), his mode of dress (and accompanying biker persona) was just a more elaborate version of the uniforms they all wore to the metal shows. It looks obvious in retrospect, but at the time, I don't think most of these kids realized that the gay biker subculture even existed, at least not until the first Police Academy movie.

I was into a few of the metal acts at the time, but Judas Priest never really grabbed me (I was more into the "serious"/pretentious Sabbath/Blackmore/Dio type stuff, whereas JP belonged more on the Scorpions pop-metal side). Not that I would've realized it myself even if I was into them, until a gay friend pointed it out in my senior year of high school.
I would have been part of that clueless demographic. Heck, I probably wouldn't have noticed even if I did know something about the gay biker subculture.

Although, I wasn't into metal during Priest's heyday.
Thanks, from:
SR71 (08-27-2015)

Page generated in 0.21382 seconds with 11 queries