View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

Default Re: Health and Fitness Track, 2012

Did not know where to deposit this story, but I will shoehorn it into this thread, hoping perhaps to catch the attention of TLR. This is about specific pollutants in relation to weight. It is brand new info to me, although I am broadly aware of the often poorly understood effects of synthetic trace materials. I found it very interesting. The article is compact and concise, not TLDR at all.

Does This Pollution Make Me Look Fat? | Mother Jones

Quote:
Enter another fascinating conversation to the mix: Researchers at Columbia's Mailman School of Public Health recently published findings that pregnant women exposed to higher levels of PAHs (chemicals released into the air from the burning of coal, diesel, oil, gas and tobacco) more than doubled their risk of bearing children who would be obese by the age of 7. The correlation was consistent with the findings from experiments in mice, in which researchers discovered that exposure to PAHs resulted in increased fat mass. Not only did mice feel the bulge, but cell culture studies also revealed that exposure to PAHs limited fat cells' ability to normally dispel lipids. The Columbia study is one of the first to show that obesity in humans isn't only affected by what you eat—it's also what you breathe in the air around you.
Clutch Munny (06-13-2012), Ensign Steve (06-13-2012)

Page generated in 0.17174 seconds with 11 queries