View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 04:25 AM
ne plus ultraviolet

Default Re: Getting good ideas from irredeemable assholes, or should I try meditation?

I don't do much formal meditation these days, but have in the past.

I would emphasize that the mind is mostly trained to stray; thoughts about the future, thoughts about the past, etc. Bringing attention back to the moment, the breath, counting- these are useful exercises.

Meditation can be helpful but may also bring up more thoughts and issues one may have been too busy (by design sometimes) to address.

I find that when a thought comes up, during meditation or otherwise, one technique is to bring your attention to the thought completely-entirely- for one moment, so that there is no space or distance between you and the thought- and see what is there. Generally what is there is energy which dissipates without any effort or rebuke.

Meditation can make one aware of the activity of the mind, a thing which many may never be aware of in their lives.

Also, irredeemable assholes can have good ideas. Just like your favorite music can be loved by a compete jerk. Does that make the music less beautiful?
Thanks, from:
curses (07-14-2013), Dingfod (07-13-2013), LadyShea (08-06-2013), specious_reasons (07-13-2013), The Man (02-03-2017)

Page generated in 0.19335 seconds with 11 queries