View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 02:00 AM
A3 - authentic anarchist asshole

Default Re: Animal hoarding and welfare and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Yes, some of that is pretty definitely true in many cases, and is probably true in this one, although I think you're overstating the case. (A lot of the things you say about pets also apply to babies and young children. They've all just got Stockholm Syndrome.)
Personally, I think it is healthy and normal for parents to be emotionally attached to their babies and young children. I do not accept any parallel with hoarding pets.

Quote:
Yes, there are some people who are, as you say, fucked up in the head to varying degrees. So what, though?
I only care to the degree that it bothers other people. It bothers other people in two possible ways:
1) disturbing the neighbors as Clutch identified
2) wasting my taxes to handle their absurdity.
It is just astonishing how serious you folks are in expecting the tax-payers to bend over backwards for what amounts -- in my bold opinion -- to a fucked up woman who killed herself over the death of her pet rock.
Yes, I am making a parallel between her pets and pet rocks.

Quote:
Our neighborhood for some reason is full of various types of old age homes.
---SNIP---
Yes, I suspect a lot of them are lonely. Just statistically, it's safe to assume a lot of them are widowed. If they have kids, they moved away a long time ago and only see them on visits if at all. And those dogs do serve a purpose for them. They provide them with companionship, an excuse to go out for walks, and a conversation starter so they can connect with other people.

Is that fucked up? Are they too emotionally dependent on their pets?
I have no problem with that. I am talking about hoarding.
Also, old people get a little more leeway in the crazy department. They have deserve to get away with a little bit of nuttiness.

Just as a disclaimer: I own a pet cat. She is cute and fluffy. Mrs.Sam gave her to me.

Quote:
Or is there some line for emotional dependency or whatever that you're drawing somewhere past that point? If so, what is the point where you decide that someone's emotional instability or fuckedupedness is something that the state should intervene in?
I do not believe the state should intervene anywhere.
I am just saying that certain behaviors are fucked up and they disturb others.

If fucked up people disturb others, they would be wise to expect their neighbors to revolt.

Just as a disclaimer: I own a pet cat. She is cute and fluffy. Somehow, she knows when Mrs.Sam is not putting out enough and comes to rest on my lap.

Page generated in 0.18907 seconds with 11 queries